Early this morning Nintendo had yet another Nintendo Direct broadcast where they not only revealed that 2013 will be the “Year of Luigi” but also went about unveiling even more titles for their growing 3DS platform, some of which will arrive before the year is up! The highlights can be found below in neat bullet point format.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf will arrive on June 9th in North America and June 14th in Europe. In this latest entry in the popular series players will become Mayor for the first time, allowing them all new ways in which to edit and control the town.
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon will arrive on March 24th. Besides a lengthy single player campaign complete with multiple mansions each with a distinct style, the game will also come with three multiplayer modes. Hunter mode is a co-operative affair where players team up to vanquish ghosts within a set time. Rush is a race to the end pitting players against each other while Polterpup see’s friends competing to discover hidden ghost dogs within levels.
- Mario & Luigi: Dream Team is the next entry in the popular RPG series starring the two big Nintendo brothers. This time the duo will have to travel within the green plumbers dreams as they make their way through obstacles and enemies. To help solve puzzles, players may have to manipulate Luigi’s physical body to impact the dream. Dream Team is slated to arrive before 2013 finishes.
- It has been far too long since a real Mario Golf title, so I was very happy to hear that a brand new entry in the series will be arriving this year. Developed by Camelot Software this sequel will feature simpler controls but a deeper golfing system. Stages will range from generic golf courses to much more elaborate Mario themed landscapes. Confirmed golfers include: Donkey Kong, Wario, Mario, Luigi, and Waluigi.
- Donkey Kong Country Returns, the critically acclaimed Wii title that nobody probably played because it was on the Wii is making its way to the 3DS handheld. Nothing else is known about the game but it will more than likely pick up some new small additions during the transfer.
During the conference Nintendo also showed off some new hardware bundles such as a Monster Hunter Ultimate Wii U package as well as a 3DS XL Fire Emblem bundle. The 3DS hardware has been picking up steam and these additions, most for this year, are definitely going to help it reach even more consumers.