Firaxis and 2K Games have released a brand new and shiny patch for one of 2012’s best games: XCOM Enemy Unknown. The patch, titled Second Wave, not only squashes some of the frustrating bugs found throughout the game, but also adds new options that can be toggled on or off for the campaign. Firaxis has said some of these options should be a treat for old school XCOM fans, as they bring the game closer to its roots. The first four on this list will become available for all to enjoy, the rest however will unlock once a player has beaten the game. These functions should definitely increase the replayability of this already great game. While the patch is out on PC, I do not have any information on whether it is available for console. (EDIT) IGN’s article on the news says that this update should be available for every platform, nice!
Second Wave Modifiers:
- Damage Roulette: Weapons have a wider range of damage.
- New Economy: Randomized council member funding.
- Not Created Equally: Rookies will have random starting stats.
- Hidden Potential: As a soldier is promoted, stats increase randomly.
- Red Fog: Combat wounds will degrade the soldier’s mission stats.
- Absolutely Critical: A flanking shot guarantees a critical hit.
- The Greater Good: Psionics can only be learned from interrogating a psionic alien.
- Marathon: The game takes considerably longer to complete.
- Results Driven: A country offers less funding as its panic level increases.
- High Stakes: Random rewards for stopping alien abductions.
- Diminishing Returns: Increased cost of satellite construction.
- More Than Human: The psionic gift is extremely rare.